The business and affairs of Children’s Developmental Program are managed by a
Board of Directors consisting
of 11 members.
Board members are elected for a three year term, and represent a variety of community occupations.
Children's Developmental Program for the Handicapped began in Quakertown as an affiliate of the United Cerebral Palsy of Philadelphia in January 1957.
In 1975, Children's Developmental Program became an independent community program. The program was located in various places through the seventies including the Quakertown Community Hospital and various local churches.
In February 1982, Children's Developmental Program moved to the Quakertown Masonic Lodge and the words "for the Handicapped" were dropped from its name.
In 1994, Children's Developmental Program was a state finalist for "Best Quality Practice in Pennsylvania" for children with developmental delays.
In the fall of 1996 CDP enrolled more children without special needs creating inclusive classrooms for all children.
The program achieved accreditation from the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) in 2004.
In 2007 the program purchased the former Quakertown Community Home at 995 Doylestown Pike. The renovation of the building began in 2009 and in June of 2010 the program moved into its new home where it remains today.
Presently, Children's Developmental Program, Inc., provides an integrated preschool to over one hundred children annually. Integration means to combine a population of 50% children with special needs with 50% children with typical development within a single setting. The Bucks County Intermediate Unit provides support services for children with special needs over the age of three years. For children with special needs under the age of three support services are provided though Bucks County Department of Mental Health and Developmental Programs.